Mental Health Services is a district program serving the mental health needs of residents of the counties of Guysborough, Antigonish, Richmond and parts of Inverness. The services are delivered at a number of hospital facilities and community sites throughout the health district.
Outpatient services include Adult as well as Child, Youth & Family (CYF) Services. An Inpatient service for adults and youth age 16 and over is located at St. Martha's Regional Hospital in Antigonish.
Who We are
- Our staff is made up of a variety of health care professionals including psychiatrists, psychologists, mental health nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, autism support workers and group facilitators. We use a team approach in providing care.
- The team approach allows you to receive support from the appropriate service providers based on your needs. Others who may be involved in your care plan include family physicians, pediatricians and other health care providers.
- You will be actively involved in planning your care with consideration for best location to access service as well as personal, religious and cultural values.
- Our services are confidential. We have a duty to protect client privacy and confidentiality. Your information is protected under current District Health Authority policies and existing provincial and federal legislation.
- Our services are funded through the provincial Department of Health so there is no direct charge to you.
- Clients are assessed for their level of need and priority is given to clients with the greatest need.
- Our Services primary mandate is the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
- We are also actively involved with Prevention and Promotion and Community-based Collaborative Models that aim to promote mental wellness through education, early intervention and a prevention focus.
- Our services aim to prevent illness, restore mental health, reduce symptoms and empower patients/clients to manage their symptoms.
Access GASHA Mental Health Services
- Referral to Mental Health Services is through a single entry system which is managed from St. Martha's Regional Hospital. A referral from anywhere is the District goes through Mental Health Services Intake at St. Martha's Hospital site. An assessment is completed by an Intake Coordinator. Your specific service will be determined by the information provided during that intake.
- The service is provided in the best location in the District, for the client, whether in an office, home or community location.
- A referral to our Outpatient Services can be made by a family physician, other professional from a community agency that is familiar with you or by you! Parents may make a referral directly on behalf of children younger than sixteen.
- To make a referral to the Adult Service, phone 867-4500, ext: 4345 or visit the main office, 3rd Floor St. Martha's Regional Hospital in Antigonish.
- To make a referral to the Child, Youth & Family Service, phone 867-4500, ext:4760 or visit the main office on the 2nd Floor of the Martha Centre beside St. Martha's Regional Hospital in Antigonish.
- Emergency/Crisis service: If you are at risk of harming yourself or others or are experiencing a mental health crisis, an emergency assessment can be arranged by calling:
- Adult - (902) 867-4500, ext: 4345 or
- Child, Youth & Family Services - (902) 867-4500 ext: 4760
- Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
- After hours (4:30pm to 8:30am) emergencies should be directed to the emergency department of the nearest local hospital.