Protecting your privacy and maintaining confidentiality is important to us. We understand that personal health information is sensitive in nature and must be protected. Access to your personal health information is available to those who need to know to provide care including physicians, nurses, technicians, therapists and other health professionals. You have the right to understand how and why we collect, use and share your personal health information
The information below is intended to help you understand how your personal health information is collected, used and shared within GASHA under the new Personal Health Information Act.
The Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) is Nova Scotia's new provincial health information privacy and access legislation. It is intended to provide clear and consistent rules for the management of personal health information across the health system. PHIA balances your right to have your privacy protected with the needs of the health sector - including GASHA - to collect, use and disclose (share) it in order to provide appropriate care and service to you.
What are my rights under PHIA?
- You have the right to have your personal health information collected, used, disclosed, retained and destroyed according to the provisions in PHIA.
- You have the right to request access to your personal health information. Fees will apply.
- You have the right to request a correction to your personal health information.
- You have the right to request information on who has accessed your personal health information held in electronic form.
- You have the right to request that some or all of your personal health information not be collected, used or disclosed to specific individuals or organizations involved in your care.
- You have the right to make a complaint related to our management of your personal health information.
- You have a right to request a review by the Privacy Review Officer responsible for PHIA, if you are not satisfied with the resolution of your complaint.
The following includes the form to be completed related to authorization for access and disclosure of health information and the fee schedule.
- Form Authoization for Access and Disclosure of Health Information (PDF)
- PHIA Fees for Access to Personal Health Information (PDF)
- Personal Health Information Regulations
GASHA's Notice of Purpose - GASHA and Your Personal Health Information describes the common purposes why GASHA collects, uses and discloses your personal health information.
As a patient or client of the Guysborough Antigonish Strait Health Authority (GASHA), you will be asked to share a variety of personal health information with us so we can give you quality health care and service.
Under this Act, you have certain rights and choices around how your health information is used and disclosed. This "Written Privacy Statement" has answers to your Frequently Asked Questions such as
- When is my consent required for a collection, use or disclosure of my personal health information by GASHA under PHIA?
- Can I request a copy of my personal health information? How much does it cost?
- Can I request that my personal health information be corrected?
- How can I make a privacy complaint if I think GASHA may have not followed PHIA?
To view Your Personal Health Information and its Protection:
For more information about our privacy policies and practices, or to access services please contact:
Manager, Patient Information & Privacy Lead for GASHA
St. Martha's Regional Hospital
25 Bay Street
Antigonish, NS B2G 2G5
Phone: 902-867-4500 extension 4261
- Note: For privacy purposes, please do not include any personal health information by email.