NSHA Volunteer Services offers a wide variety of opportunities that enhance the experience of patients, residents, clients and families. Below is a list of common volunteer opportunities throughout the province. For more information on these and other possibilities, please contact the facility closest to you.
- Ambassadors, hospitality and information desk
Volunteers provide a courteous and friendly welcome to patients, visitors and staff. They answer general inquiries and provide directions to assist patients and visitors arriving for various appointments.
- Volunteer visitor
Volunteers visit with patients, residents and clients to offer companionship and support during their stay in the hospital.
Volunteers share their talents and abilities by playing music, singing, participating in various forms of art therapy (painting, photography, sculpture, knitting and drawing), assisting with community outings, playing trivia, movie nights, baking, sports and playing cards and more.
- Palliative care
Volunteers provide companionship and support to patients and families/caregivers living with a life-limiting illness. Volunteers in Palliative Care are required to participate in a specialized training program prior to volunteering.
- Therapy dog visitation
Therapy dogs and their owners visit and provide companionship to residents, patients and clients. Approved therapy dogs must be graduates of the St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program or the Therapeutic Paws of Canada Program.
- Student and youth opportunities
Volunteering in a hospital or health centre can give you a “taste” of what it’s like to work in a health care setting. Contact your local Volunteer Services office to find out more details on what is available in your community.
If you are a caring, positive and helpful individual seeking a rewarding volunteer opportunity, please consider joining our team of volunteers at Nova Scotia Health Authority. Learn how to apply
Annapolis Valley, South Shore, South West Nova Scotia
- Annapolis Community Health Centre
- Digby General Hospital
- Eastern Kings Memorial Community Health Centre
- Fisherman's Memorial Hospital
- Queens General Hospital
- Roseway Hospital
- Soldier Memorial Hospital
- South Shore Regional Hospital
- Valley Regional Hospital
- Western Kings Memorial Hospital
- Yarmouth Regional Hospital
Cape Breton, Guysborough, Antigonish
- Buchanen Memorial
- Cape Breton Regional Hospital
- Eastern Memorial Hospital
- Glace Bay Hospital
- Guysborough Memorial Hospital
- Harbourview Hospital
- Inverness Consolidated Memorial Hospital
- New Waterford Consolidated Hospital
- Northside General Hospital
- Sacred Heart Community Health Centre
- St. Martha's Regional Hospital
- St. Mary's Memorial Hospital
- Strait Richmond Hospital
- Victoria County Memorial Hospital